Saturday, October 6, 2012

Im a big kid now!


As usual my train of thought in this post is a little scattered.  Im sure my mother cringes ever time she reads my posts.  Sorry mom, but here it goes-

I have become quite the cultured little squirrel while here in Amman.  The other night I went downtown with some friends to an art exhibit which also featured a movie about Gaza.  The movie was about the cinemas, or lack thereof in Gaza.  Apparently it was quite controversial and from what I have heard the film makers are not allowed back in Gaza.  It was an interesting evening.

Not quite sure how to phrase this so it makes sense but I have been trying to relate these two thoughts for the past hour or so:  Isnt it funny how when we experience something really good we tend to say "you cant write this stuff" and how all the best movies seem to be based on a true story?

Tonight I met up with some friends at our go-to-location of Rainbow Street, just off first circle, in Amman.  The Royal Film Commission (RFC) is just off Rainbow Street and this week they were hosting a European Film Festival.  Two European movies are being shown each day.  One at an indoor theater closer to first circle and the second at the outdoor theater at the RFC.  For those who are from Springfield and have been to the summer movies at Founders Park it is a similar set up.  Concrete steps which people pile on to and a screen.  The only difference is at the RFC it is totally free AND they provide water and tea.

The movie was a French movie titled "The Intouchables".  It was about a paraplegic man and his helper and the bond and friendship that they create.  As a result both are changed for the better.  It is one of my new favorite movies and when I get back to the states I will probably try to find it *if anyone is looking for a Christmas gift idea….HINT*. The movie was so funny and charming but also serious and moving.  It was based off a true story.

I guess the evening was so nice because I was with my best friends here in Jordan enjoying a wonderful movie.  The weather is starting to get a little cooler so it was a beautiful evening weather wise.  Also from where we were sitting I could see the Amman citadel, the roman ruins in Amman, lit up against the black sky. 

I can't express how much I have enjoyed the past few nights.  It's amazing what you can find when you literally have nothing to do…well other than homework of course but who wants to do that?!


No comments:

Post a Comment