Monday, September 3, 2012


I am sitting in the International Terminal of the Chicago O'Hare Airport.  On my left is the plane that will take me to Amman it has something written in Arabic on the side…not surprising though. An update on my past week:

                I went up to Jewell for a brief two night visit.  After the fourth night I decided it was time to head home.  While it was very difficult to leave my friends and my comfort zone on the hill I left ready to embark on my own adventure.
                The past two nights have been filled with goodbyes.  First with my mom's side of the family as well as my best friend Brandon, then last night with my dad's side of the family.
                Today was the hardest.  First with Ommy and Papa and then with my parents.  I almost missed my plane in Kansas City because of all the goodbyes.
                While on that flight I was 1. Very emotional and 2. The turbulence was horrible, I assume because of Isaac.  The entire flight I was thinking "what have I gotten myself into?"
                Landing in Chicago was also interesting.  I had to leave the secured area, travel to the international airline terminal and check in at the Royal Jordanian desk.  I think that was my first taste of culture shock.  When I got to the desk there was not a soul working, just about 50 people lined up waiting, most of which were sitting on the ground.  After about 15 minutes employees started pouring out of a door behind the desk. While checking in I had to check one of my carry on bags…that’s three checked bags, all for free at this point (fingers crossed).
                My last meal was at McDonalds.  I asked for a cheeseburger plain and got a plain hamburger (first world problems).  I saw with this adorable young Muslim family.  The kids were very friendly and by the time I finished my meal the little girl had struck up a conversation with me over her chocolate milk.
                I decided to venture through security.  It was a piece of cake.  No problems at all.  After that the nervous shivers set in.  From there I basically sat down and started writing this.  I cant post it right now but I will post it later. So by the time you are reading this I will be in Jordan.  That’s so scary but I'm excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment