Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sho fi ma fi

I haven’t updated this much since I have been here but in light of recent events in this part of the country I feel like it is time to reach out.  Instead of focusing on the negative things that happen here, all of which are done by a small minority and does not represent the entire people, I want to discuss all the exciting things that are happening with this adventure.

First- if you haven’t seen my pictures on facebook of some of my travels I suggest you look.  They are pretty cool if I do say so myself!!!

Second- I have started classes!!!! I have MSA (Modern Standard Arabic) every day, Jordanian Arabic Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday (yes our weekends are Friday and Saturday), and Modern History of the Middle East on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Third- I have secured an internship while here in Amman.  I am working mostly with the Eisenhower Fellowship creating videos to introduce each of the fellows that are in Jordan. My other duty is to basically act as a consultant for the Development and Free Zone Commission (a governmental department that creates strategic business and conservation parks to encourage economic and environmental success in the country) on a promotional video they are having made by a local advertising company.

So now I want to list a few things that I  have observed that are worth sharing:

- as I already said our weekends are Friday and Saturday

- when you enter a multistory building you enter on the "ground floor", to go to the first floor you have to go up

- McDonalds is right across the street from my school and yes I have eaten there three times already….sorry

- You can only enter a mosque if you are Muslim (except for one certain mosque which is allowed for visitors to view) trust me, we tried….it didn’t work

- you also have to have your head covered in the mosque to enter

- speaking of covering a lot of the women cover their head and some even cover their face but it is completely okay for us to not cover our head

- clothing is shoulders and knees covered- that is the basic rule of thumb

- I don’t know if this is a common thing but in both the hotel and in my house there is only a fitted sheet on the bed, no top sheet

- when you pay for a taxi you basically just round up to the nearest dinar. So technically a 2.30 JD ride actually costs 3.00

- most of the people speak English. A lot have even been to and/or studied in the US

Im sure I will think of more in time but that is all I can think of at the moment.

Now to probably what most people are curious about: When I arrived in Amman and we went through orientation we were told our biggest enemy in Jordan is a "Jordanian behind a steering wheel" the traffic is crazy and hectic and I never want to have to drive in it. Since then quite a few things have happened in neighboring countries.  I want to say that there is no need to be concerned. The program that I am with has briefed us on the procedure in the event of a problem or an evacuation.  They are keeping close contact with the Embassy here and will do what is necessary to keep us all safe. 

In my final thought for this post I would like to end by saying that the actions in the area are not indicative of the people here.  I live with a Muslim family who has welcomed me and my roommate into their house.  They have all been to the United States and all speak English.  PLEASE do not use the blanket term "terrorists" to describe the people in this region of the world.  No matter what happens they are good people and have unfortunately been given this stereotype.  As I said even before I left home is no more safe than where I am and I think that was proven in the unfortunate events in Aurora, Colorado at the end of this summer. Basically what I want to say is to not group the peaceful majority in with the radical minority.

Okay, off to bed.  I have to be at the Dead Sea tomorrow….

Ma'salama



No comments:

Post a Comment