Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ya take the good, ya take the bad...

     There is a lot of trust that goes into catching a cab, and this goes for really any taxi anywhere.  First you have to trust that there is a common ground in your language so you can tell the driver where you need to go.  You have to trust that they are going to go the fastest way so as to not rip you off.  You have to trust that they are actually going to take you where you are going and you have to trust that they are genuinely friendly and not just creepy.  But most importantly you have to trust your gut.

     I have had good experiences and I have had bad.  Monday was a bad one. Lesson learned. And today was another bad one. Lesson applied. It is illegal here for taxi drivers to barter with you for the price of the fare.  That is to protect you and them from rip off.  It seems when a driver here sees me trying to catch a cab they see an opportunity.  Today I got in a cab and the guy tried to charge me 10 JD to take me home.  I told him no and promptly got out of the taxi.  He then told me 5 and eventually 3. This alone was illegal but there were not many taxis around so I had to work with what I had and I figured the fare would be around that price anyway. I also told him I was from Canada when he asked….

     As for good experiences.  Yesterday my friend Adrian and I caught up with a group of our friends in a place called Iraq Al-Amir.  This is a small village just outside of Amman. He ran the meter for us, a good sign.  Then on our way out of town he stopped and bought an ice cream cone and water for me, Adrian and himself to enjoy on the ride.  He knew the area we were going to was hot and wanted to make sure we had enough water.  I know you are thinking "you didn’t take it did you?"and to answer you I say that I did.  It’s a when in Rome kind of thing. 

     I basically pretend to not understand any Arabic when I am in a cab so the drivers will leave me alone. This ride was the same.  I listened to Adrian and the cabby talk for the entire 30 minutes to Iraq.  As advised by CIEE Adrian told the driver that he and I were married.  The driver asked if we had any kids and Adrian responded with a quick no haha the driver then proceeded to tell us about his family.  He had a wife and two kids. A two year old boy and a three year old girl.  The joy on his face while talking about them was something that could warm the coldest heart.
     
     He dropped us off at the 2000 year old castle remains and made us take the water with us to share with our friends.  And left me with a renewed faith in my study abroad experience and the hospitality of these people. 

     The castle was cool and so were the caves. It was the first time that I really felt like I was in the middle east. Sheep in the street and donkeys all along the road made getting out of the city so worthwhile.  Tomorrow is our trip to Wadi Rum, Aquaba, and Petra. 

Inshallah.


1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! Excited about your trip to Petra! If you see Indiana Jones, tell him we said hi.

    ReplyDelete